« 1st visit to HIPOP/IPOP (whatever you want to call it) | 3rd visit to HIPOP »

2nd visit to HIPOP
March 20th, 2008 by Chenell

Wednesday was a day of relative normality. It was nice to have a day where we didn’t have to be worried about getting to the hospital on schedule. It was a good day to stay in. It rained ALL day long. I did some laundry in the hotel’s guest laundry facility. $1 to wash and $1 to dry. I did 3 loads and it was about 8 days worth of clothes, all we brought because we really didn’t have anymore to bring! While waiting for the laundry I killed time on the computer in the business center. I also tried used one of the elliptical machines in the workout room for 20 mins. All the equipment has TV monitors attached. It’s a really nice setup. I figure if I am going to be bored in this hotel, I might as well get back in shape. :)

I called th pharmacy Wednesday as well to check on the whole prior authorization thing. They had taken care of both the Fluconazole and the Valtrex. The Fluconazole is a $10 copay, the drug they wanted to charge $150 for 10 pills, crazy! They said I’d need to call in the refill for the Valtrex, but the Fluconazole was already filled.

This morning was Chris’ second trip to the HIPOP. We thought his appointment was for 8:30am because we had rescheduled for 10:30am effective next week. They did it right away. We were 2 hours early, buy they still managed to squeeze him in. They took two more vials of blood and all his vitals. His Hickman central IV has healed enough that they changed his dressing to the clear waterproof window kind so that Chris can finally shower.

His lab results came back a hour or so later and we got a print out of the numbers (see key numbers below). His WBC is down, but not going down as fast as they expected. I guess Chris is just too healthy. :) It just sucks having to wait is all. Since they aren’t dropping as quickly, they gave us Friday off. Our next visit will be Saturday @ 10:30am.






(pre HiCy)

White Blood Cell Count (WBC)






Red Blood Cell Count






Platelet Count






I am glad to report that Chris’ appetite and eating habits are back to normal. We’ve eaten some rather nice large meals lately without any problems for Chris. In fact, today we had lunch down in the restaurant in the hotel lobby. Chris had a tomato based crab soup and I had one that was tomato and cream. Both were heaven in a bowl. The BEST crab soup either of us have ever had. Even the bread rolls were rockin’. Yummers! Chris ate it with his mask on, lifting it up to spoon in the soup. LOL

While we were downstairs, we extended our reservation through the month of April. It would suck if we had to stay longer and they had already promised our room to someone else. We can leave early an we won’t be charged anything. Right now the hotel is completely booked up.

We heard from Carrie that there are 3 other HiCyers right now with MS, and a couple of them may be staying here. I don’t know if they’ve been following the info on ThisIsMS or what. If you are reading this, please drop us a note! :) I hear the people at JH are passing this site along to HiCy patients and potential patients. I will do the best I can to document everything accurately as I can. If you have questions, please contact me by leaving a comment.
I took a cab ride out to Whole Foods today. It’s about a mile and a half from the hotel, but since we were in traffic it ended up running me over $10. I have been trying to keep Chris on a high iron and protein rich diet to help with the anemia. I found some information on-line about iron rich diets. I went to Whole Foods specifically to find Chris some bread that did NOT contain whole wheat. Whole wheat can inhibit the absorption of iron. I found some white rice bread that should do the trick until he’s over the anemia. Of course, I had to pick up a few other things while I was there. The other grocery store closer tot he hotel does not have the selection. Waiting for the cab back sucked. It was very, very windy. I hung out in the doorway so I wouldn’t have to be out in the wind. The last thing I need is to catch something and bring it home to Chris.

Chris’ Dad, Ron, was nice enough to pick us up an electric skillet so we can have a little more variety with our meals. It’s nice having a range, but it’s hard to cook some things on. I wish I would have packed some cooking utensils and spices for the trip, oh well. Just gotta work with what we have.

I did some tweaking of the graphics tonight. If the page looks odd for some reason try clearing the cache and refreshing the page.

On that note, I bid you goodnight.

More on Saturday.