« Chris had his 1st dose of HiCy today | 3rd dose of HiCy »

2nd dose of HiCy
March 14th, 2008 by Chenell

Today I got to the Hospital around 10:30am. I had to wait forever for some other people to get picked up by the shuttle. It was definitely the fullest I’ve seen it yet. There were 6 people altogether. Usually it was just Chris and I, and more recently, just me.

I guess I wasn’t quite prepared to see Chris the way he way this morning. Last night he was very talkative and friendly and this morning he was quiet the opposite. He was very lethargic and nauseas. He spent most of today sleeping and puking. I guess he ate breakfast and couldn’t keep it down. He got nauseas if I even told him what they had brought him he would get upset.

Dr. Brodsky actually made it by to check on Chris. He seemed pretty surprised that Chris was having such a hard time with nausea, especially after only one dose. He said about 5-10% of people have no nausea, while another 5-10% have it constantly. Looks like Chris may be one of those unlucky people.

Chris is on constant fluids to keep him hydrated. The nurses check his vital signs (blood pressure, pulse and temp) every 4 hours. They have a drug to protect his bladder and one for his kidneys and about 2 or 3 different types of anti-nausea meds. Pretty much all of his medicine (except for the Baclofen and Marinol) goes straight into the central line. They take two vials of blood from him daily (out of the line) to check his platelets, potassium, magnesium etc.

Carrie Trecker from Dr. Kerr’s office also came by to see Chris today and to pick up the paperwork for the Project Cure blood samples we gave them last time we were here. She said she’s never seen Chris so quiet! Chris will be the first to admit that he has a big mouth. Just goes to show you how bad he’s feeling.

Someone from the PT/OT department also came by today wanting to work with Chris. Since his nausea was so bad we didn’t want to move him around to much. She said it was important for him to get up and around a little so that h doesn’t become any weaker. The last thing we need is to get him back to Denver ad have him unable to walk AT ALL. I guess she is going to be back sometime on Monday to see Chris and work with him a bit.

Chris’ major complaints today (besides the nausea) are feeling really run down (no energy) and he had issues of being too hot and too cold. He’d be hot one moment, shed some layers or take off a blanket, just to be cold the next. It was as if he had a fever but we know that was not the case. The pain from the main line has ceased, or at least stopped bothering him for now.

Around 7pm it was time for his second dose of HiCy. The nurse wanted to get his weight. Somehow in the transfer of getting him out of bed and onto the scale his extension lines for his IV came loose. He started bleeding out of the line and made a mess all over himself and the scale. We are just fortunate it didn’t come out where it hooked up to the main line, the skin could have been torn. Chris somehow ended up on his knees on the scale and it registered a measurement. The nurse asked me if it seemed right, it was a little low but he hadn’t eaten all day. So we didn’t bother to try to get another weight measurement. Chris couldn’t hang with us no more. He is so weak that he cannot sit up in bed without help nor get up out of bed onto his feet. It could be the chemo, or the drowsiness from the anti-nausea meds, it’s hard to say at this moment.

At 7:14pm eastern Chris finally started the second dose of HiCy after having to get some new IV extensions and have his line flushed with saline solution. This time he didn’t get a headache and he was no more nauseas than before. Maybe he is starting to build a tolerance, but I doubt it. I can’t believe they actually do this procedure outpatient. I could not imagine having to take him back and forth on a shuttle with his nausea. Not to mention while in the hospital he is on constant fluids o keep him hydrated. I wouldn’t want to try to take care of him while he is this sick. I am very grateful for the nursing staff. They make sure he has his medicines on time, get him soda, empty his urinal and barf tub, as well as check on him. I think my job will be hard enough when he gets released.

Anyway, it’s late and I have another long day ahead of me tomorrow.

More to come!


3 Responses to “2nd dose of HiCy”
  1. Sandy Says:
    March 15th, 2008 at 7:41 am

    Thanks for the update Chenell. Prayers are still with you guys. it would be great to put someone in a medically induced coma to do this. Hang in there. I plan to get a tattoo of a Phoenix if they let me go thru this. Chris will soon be reborn!!


  2. Dede Says:
    March 15th, 2008 at 7:55 am

    We are all watching and praying for Chris and you. Be strong.

  3. Lew (Loobie) Says:
    March 17th, 2008 at 5:47 pm

    Hang in there brother. I’m praying for you. I’m next! After reading Chanell’s writing I’m just not sure. Psyche! Thank you SO much for keeping us informed. Some of us are following with bated breath. He is so lucky to have you there. I’ll also pray for you to get some good rest!

    Lew Chapman